Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Io

I finally got around to taking a serious look at Steve Dekorte's Io language. I subscribe to his blog and it's always a great read. I finally got around to looking at Io since my interest in prototype-based languages is peaking again. It's a wonderful language and from the 10,000 foot view has everything that will be fun to explore. It's inspired by Smalltalk (everything is an object, right on), but has a lot of cool Lispisms (Access to the parse tree...could it possibly do Lisp macros? Yummy! I've been thinking of using code generation and meta-programming together and this looks perfect!). Oh, and did I mention that it's also been inspired by a host of other cool languages like Self and NewtonScript? The syntax is nice and simple. It's been downloaded and I'm ready to learn my language of year! I want to fully explore the prototype-based OO paradigm because I find myself drawn to it because of it's simplicity and it just feels beautiful to me. I'll be blogging more of my thoughts soon...

No comments: