Saturday, August 06, 2005

10 Things Every Java Programmer Should Know About Ruby

The slides for Jim Weirich's "10 Things Every Java Programmer Should Know About Ruby" are up and ready for your reading. The slides are excellent and provide a great argument for dynamic languages. Everything he talks about is true for Smalltalk as well except that everything really is an object (including blocks) in Smalltalk. I do love Ruby, I think it has a lot of good ideas (like mix-ins). I especially love the Ruby community. It's young, vibrant and they embrace the simple for doing complex things. It's possible.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like Ruby, you might want to check out . It's both simpler and more dynamic.

Blaine Buxton said...

I have checked out Io and I am in love with it too. I can't wait to spend a lot of time with it. It seems to be the closest thing to Self. I also need to play with Slate as well. Thanks for the link! Prototype languages rule!