Thursday, September 01, 2005

What kind of technology do you want to create?

From Donald Norman's "Things That Make Us Smart":
When I speak of the power and virtues of technology, I am referring to soft technology: technology that is flexible, that is under our control. Hard technology remains unheedful of the real needs and desires of the users. It is a technology that, rather than conforming to our needs, forces us to conform to its needs. Hard technology make us subservient; soft technology puts us in charge. Automating tends to be a hard use of technology. Informating tends to be soft.

So, when you are creating your next program or framework, think to yourself, "How would I want to be treated?" I bet you would prefer soft technology over hard. Let's make the user experience better all around. I promise to take the above quote to heart in my future endeavors. Take the oath and let's start delighting our users together.

1 comment:

Darius said...

One man's soft is another man's hard. This is the realm of "power & influence" not technology.