Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Dynamic Language Failure in 2006? Please!

From Relevance:
...2006 will show that dynamically typed languages are a fad and Java and .NET will again rule the day, and especially that 2006 will be the year that we see one spectacular failure of Ruby in the enterprise and this will be the death knell of this trend.

I don't wish failure even on my worst enemies. I can't believe somebody would blog such trite. Dynamic languages are a fad? Please. Lisp is the grand daddy of them all and what year was it conceived? Hint: It was WAY before the birth of java and .net.

Why can't we all just get along? I've been apart of successful java and smalltalk projects. Each had their own unique challenges. Developers are attracted to each because of their experience and success with their choice. Why wish failure? Are you feeling threatened? I keep hearing "the hype machine" from java folks and I just wish they would go back to 1997 and realize that they were "the hype machine" back then. Is java fad? Far from it. But, Smalltalk and the recent crop of dynamic languages are not either. The important thing is to ask, "why is there hype around THIS technology?" instead of demoaning everyone's enthusiasm for it. I find that everytime developer's get excited, I start asking that question. The discussions are always lively and I walk away with a different perspective. We should all be learning from one another instead of bitching that the newest toy is not ours.

It's a big world. There's room for all of us. I wish everyone no failures and only successess this year. No matter what your technology choice is!

No comments: