Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Giggling With Emacs

I started out with AquaEmacs, but quickly switched to Carbon Emacs. The reason was because I still use Windows in other places and it was easier switching between GNU Emacs on Windows and Carbon Emacs on Mac. After my efforts tonight, I have line numbers displaying in the left column thanks to linum.el. I'm finding Emacs Wiki to be a great resource for information. I'm mainly learning by reading other people's code and .emacs files. As with anything, I'm finding lots of things that don't work and performing tons of searches into what certain commands do. Emacs has great help support built-in and is proving to be indispensable in my journey.

But, these are not the reasons for my giggling. I was going through the menus and saw Games under the Tools menu. How quaint. I'm not a big game player. I look at the games listed and see "Adventure". I think to myself, "No way". I click and "XYZZY!" It's the real deal. Oh, I love interactive fiction (Infocom is my fave) and I have never played Adventure. This might keep me busy for a little while. The one kind of game that I love, Emacs has the original built-in. How cool.

1 comment:

MikeHoss said...

I tried Carbon Emacs and then went to Aqua. But you are right -- Carbon is more like standard Gnu Emacs. Aquamacs is almost another port.

and I didn't know about the Z-engine in Elisp! See, you can do anything in Emacs. :) Now we just need to get Matt to use it . . .