Tuesday, May 09, 2006

My First Eclipse Plug-In

I got my first Eclipse plug-in working! I'm so excited! It works in Eclipse 3.1, Windows XP, and Java 1.5. I'm so proud of myself. It was a lot of fun to program. You might ask yourself, what is it? Well, it's a Thesaurus that accesses www.thesaurus.com and reformats the output to make all words clickable. It still needs more work like keyboard shortcuts, the ability to click on a word in the editors, and back/forward buttons.

SWT was a complete pleasure. It's an elegant design and far better than Swing (I could write a book about all of the bad design decisions in it). So now, I have one of my favorite tools in Eclipse as well. ROCK! My next project is the ability to give presentations in Eclipse. I'm thinking Groovy might be the perfect vehicle.

1 comment:

Patrick Logan said...

If you use Jython then I would suspect a good bit of your presentation code could be reused outside of Eclipse, and even outside of Java.

With Groovy, you could reuse that code outside of Eclipse, but you would remain bound to a JVM.