Sunday, April 30, 2006

What I Love About The Ruby Community

Chris Petrilli writes about one of the things that I love about the Ruby community:
Spiffy. In some ways they’re juts rediscovering what the Smalltalk world has had for a long time, but there’s a lot of new stuff happening too, and the “spirit” of the community is what attracts me. There is a certain unwillingness to accept wrote answers and look for new solutions. They also seem, unlike so many others, to not have forgotten where so many of the ideas come from.

The youthfulness and excitement of the Ruby community attracted me to the language even before Rails. It was the knowing your past, but looking at the future that got me. I love it. It makes me look past a few shortcomings in the language (like & and that blocks are not first class objects). But, it's going to be a fun journey with so many passionate people.

No comments: