Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Design Patterns of 1972

Sam Griffith sent me a link to "Design Patterns of 1972". What a great read. It's a call to arms to take our languages further. Mark uses several pattern examples from computing past and shows how they were implemented later into programing languages so that they became eventually invisible. I loved the fact that he says that we shouldn't stop at design patterns, but figure out how to incorporate them into our language. I've long believed we are doomed to repeat past sins if we don't research the paths traveled before us. Just go read "Software Fundamentals: Collected Papers" by David L. Parnas and prepare to be shocked if you doubt what I say. Anyway, Mark's article is awesome and thanks goes to Sam for showing this to me!

Now, let's roll up our sleeves and take our industry further!

No comments: