Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Superfluous Parentheses

A Lisper talks about The Road to Enlightenment is Littered with Irritating, Superfluous Parentheses or his road to Lisp. It's a great read. He put in several funny quotes like:
of course, I can’t help but admire what the Smalltalkers have built with Squeak. (I suppose once you’ve reached the Source, being a polyglot becomes second nature.)

and...
The Lisp machines seem to have been the apex of Lisp, a brilliant achievement still unequalled (except by the Smalltalkers, as always). These wonderous machines have been followed by two decades of standstill, or even retrograde, progress.

It's funny, but I chose Scheme as well for slightly different reasons. I like the simplicity and elegance of Scheme which barely edges out Common Lisp. And the debugger is really great. It's also weird when he mentioned Forth and Factor. I just downloaded the Factor implementation recently. Weird. Forth is something that I like the elegance and enjoyed Brodie's book immensely. But, haven't played around enough with stack-based languages yet to know whether I like them or not. So much cool stuff!

Anyway, it's a great read. One of these days, I need to do one of these for why I choose Smalltalk. I think the above article was frank about Lisp and we need to be the same about Smalltalk.

I noticed he had a few books that he was planning on reading and are still on my reading list. I wonder if a virtual book club might be in order?

No comments: