Monday, June 27, 2005

Coding Competition

The finals for the Smalltalk coding competition were held yesterday. First off, it was mad fun. Alan Knight came up with a really hard problem that seemed simple. It was a bar game involving change (pennies, nickles, etc). What we had to do was write code to connect to a game server playing this game and interact with it. You can guess that the next objective was to create a computer player. No problem right? Nope, I ran out of time! I'm not even sure my player is going to work! If it does, he will be an utter and complete idiot. Four hours is not a lot of time and I wasted a good bit of time on the server code. The reason for that is because the inner coder in me likes writing understandable code and four hours is not enough for understandable code. The time constraints force you to know your tool and not to teeter on any one solution. Just pick one and GO! I simply lost track of time which is a major no-no in coding competitions. But, I'm not disappointed in my dismal performance. I got a chance to chat with Micheal Lucas-Smith yesterday at Disney World and it was great meeting Kevin Badinger at the competition. Great Smalltalkers period. If I have to lose, I know it will be because my opponents' code fu was stronger. We will be placing the players in competition with one another on Wednesday to determine the winner. I don't have high hopes. I'll be over joyed if mine works! Finally, I would like to thank everyone involved in the competition. I had a lot of fun. I can not express that enough. I'm so thankful for the opportunity.

No comments: